When you first start dieting, your body is used to certain things. Even things that are bad for you like refined sugar, unhealthy fats, and simple carbohydrates. So the first couple weeks can be challenging. You may feel hungrier than usual and have lots of cravings. Fortunately, there are some healthy ways to combat these problems. Adding foods that help suppress your appetite and give your body healthy alternatives for energy, can reduce these cravings. Here are ten healthy foods that our nutritional counselors recommend to help:
- Avocados: Avocados are full of healthy monounsaturated fats that can give you low term, sustained energy. They are also loaded with fiber that can keep you feeling full
- Apples: Apples are loaded with pectin which can help battle your sugar cravings. Also, pectin can give you a burst of energy when you are feeling sluggish. They are also loaded with fiber to help keep you feeling full.
- Sweet Potatoes: Sweet potatoes contain a starch that takes a while for your stomach enzymes to digest. This slow digestion helps you stay feeling full and gives you sustained energy.
- Sardines: Sardines are high in protein and healthy omega-three fatty acids. Both can help keep your energy up. They also contain extremely high levels of B12. B12 can help give you energy and boost your mood.
- Almonds: Studies have shown that a handful of almonds can help you feel full and suppress your appetite. Almonds are loaded with healthy fats, fiber, and magnesium, which all work to keep your energy up and help you stay full.
- Dark Chocolate: Dark Chocolate with 70% cocoa or more can help meet those chocolate cravings in a healthy way. Dark chocolate is low in sugar and fat. Plus, it contains high amounts of stearic acid which slows digestion, helping you feel fuller longer.
- Tofu: Tofu is a very versatile food. It contains a high level of genistein which can help suppress your appetite. Tofu is also rich in iron which can boost your metabolic rate and give you energy when you are feeling sluggish.
Next time you’re having a craving, grab one of these healthy options. For more advice on how to eat a healthy diet, talk to our nutritional counselors. At Everlasting Changes, we believe that wellness requires both diet and exercise. So we offer a comprehensive package that includes both personal training and nutritional counseling to help you reach your goals.
Call Now for 3 Risk Free, Complimentary Sessions. We include a 30 day guarantee on all of our packages