Eating healthy can be really challenging. Not just because you have to learn what to eat, but things that should be healthy can be made unhealthy by manufacturers. To help you avoid some of these deceptively healthy foods, our nutritional counselors have made a list of seven “healthy” foods to be careful when buying because they may actually be full of added sugars.
1. Low-Fat Yogurt: Low-fat yogurts often contained added sugars to help supplement the taste. On average one cup of low-fat yogurt can contain around 50 grams of sugar which is about 1/4 of a cup of sugar
2. Protein Bars: some of the protein bars on the market may as well be candy bars. For example, the best-selling protein bar in the US has 23 grams of sugar, that’s basically six teaspoons and exactly the same amount of sugar in everyone’s favorite chocolate bar.
3. Protein Powders: Protein bars aren’t the only culprit, protein powders can also be loaded with added sugars. Protein powders come in a wide range from zero to a whopping 75 grams of sugar per serving. So always read the label before buying a protein powder.
4. Non-Dairy Milk: Unless you are buying the unsweetened versions of these milk substitutes you are getting anywhere from 10-20 grams of sugar in every glass. There’s less sugar in a milkshake.
5. Whole Wheat Bread: Skipping the white bread for a whole wheat bread is a great idea, unless you are buying one with added sugar. Some whole wheat breads have 6 grams of sugar per slice. That means for every sandwich you are eating three teaspoons of sugar just in the bread alone.
6. Sports Drinks: Replacing your electrolytes after a hard workout is good for your body. However, loading your body with sugar after a workout is terrible. Some sports drinks have 34 grams of sugar. That’s only 5 grams less than the most popular soda.
7. Jerky: No one thinks there would be sugar in meat, but beef jerky sometimes has added sweeteners. Flavored beef jerkys are the worst culprits averaging 10 grams or three teaspoons of sugar per serving.
These foods are just some of the healthy options out there that may actually be working against your diet. To make sure you are always making healthy selections, talk to one of our nutritional counselors. We’ll help you navigate the grocery aisles to make healthy selections everytime.
Call us now for 3 risk-free, complimentary sessions. We include a 30-day guarantee on all of our packages.